Sunday, August 23, 2009

God's Timing - Psalm 27:14

Title: God’s Timing
Date: August 23, 2009
Text: Psa 27:14

Introduction

- Ecclesiastes 3:1 “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.”
- Is this a fatalistic concept?
- “When I was just a little child,
I asked my mother, “What will I be?
Will I be pretty? Will I be rich?”
Here’s what she said to me:
“Que sera, sera, Whatever will be, will be;
The future’s not ours to see.
Que sera, sera, What will be, will be.”
- Is life just a matter of “whatever”?
- God is involved in our lives

God is a God of perfect timing

- God is not limited by time
- But he does things in an orderly manner, there is a beginning and an end
- Alpha and Omega
- Revelation 1:8 “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty”.
- There is a time of preparation
- Example of our call to Wisconsin

God knows us

- He knew us the day we were born
- Psa 139:13-16 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
- He knows all that is happening in our life
- Verse 1-4
- God knows about your personal issues, things you have spoken about to no one
-

God knows our needs

- Philippians 4:19 “And my God shall supply all your need,according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”
- Example of providing for our needs
- Many times God has stepped in and provided for our needs
- Example of check for $4000
- I am restoring the years of the locust
- God knows what we need and when we need it
- He does not give it to us early, nor does he supply it too late
- He supplies our needs in the broader context of what we truly need

God knows the best time for us

- God knows the best time to call us
- He knows the best time to intervene in our affairs
- He is a God who leads us and draws us, not forces us
- Hosea 11:4 I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.
- God’s ways are different from our ways
- Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
- One way in which God’s thoughts are different from ours, is that He looks long term
- He sees the end from the beginning
- Isaiah 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:
- On the other hand, we tend to live and think about the present
- That is the way we are made
- Jesus even tells us to live by the day
- Matt 6:33-34 “Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

God knows when things are hard

- God is teaching us to live in relationship with him
- When we need things, he asks us to talk to him
- Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
- Sometimes the hard times are there for another reason, to teach us a lesson
- Sometimes we have brought things on ourselves and it is a form of discipline
- Heb 12:5-11

In all these things, God is with you

- Heb 13:5 “Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you
- God knows what the reason is for the trial
- We don’t
- It may be something to strengthen our character
- It may be something we brought on ourselves, but even then God is in charge
- And it may even just be time and chance
- But God can step in and deal with the situation
- So ask him if there is something to learn
- Or something we should change
- Or some action we should take
- Then make your requests known and allow God to do his work in his timing
- God is with you, wherever you are
- Psa 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
- Psalms 27:14 “Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart: wait I say on the Lord.” NKJV
- And finally
- Psalms 40:1,2 “I waited patiently for the Lord, he turned to me and heard my cry He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and the mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”

No comments: